Match Report:

East Kilbride FC - 3
Gala Fairydean Rovers - 0

East Kilbride extended their lead at the top of the Lowland League to four points, after three goals in a dynamic five minute spell around the hour mark secured a well deserved three points.

Adam Strachan cooly converted two penalties in a three minute period before Ross McNeil found the net moments later with his 17th goal of the season.

Up until that point, it had been a frustrating afternoon for Billy Stark’s men who enjoyed an enormous amount of possession, but unable to make the breakthrough.

Kilby appeared to have taken the lead after 19 minutes, but a Kieran Gibbons shot which was deflected into the net was strangely flagged for offside, to the bemusement of the K-Park crowd.

Sean Winter then fired high over with a left footed shot on 40 minutes after creating his own chance, and half-time arrived with the game goal-less.

EK started well after the break, and McNeil came closest to opening the scoring on 50 minutes, but his excellent header after a Fabio Capuano cross was brilliantly palmed round the post by the Gala keeper.

Kilby finally made the breakthrough on 58 minutes, when debutant Bryan Prunty’s clever knock-down found McNeil who was bundled over in the box and a spot-kick was awarded.

Adam Strachan duly stepped up to send the goalie the wrong way to make it 1-0, and the home side were on their way.

Buoyed by the goal, EK continued to attack, and won a second penalty three minutes later, when Prunty’s cross struck an arm, and Strachan stepped up with a carbon copy of his first strike, and a two goal cushion was established.

The game was over as a contest two minutes later, after Strachan’s cross found Winter, who headed the ball across the box, where Ross McNeil met it to slam high into the net and it was 3-0.

McNeil thought he had added a second in the 75th minute, but his header after a cross from substitute Tony Wallace was ruled out.

BJ Coll and Declan Hughes replaced Fabio Capuano and Michael Anderson late in the game, as Stark utilised his squad, and EK saw the game out as worthy winners to move four points ahead to the top of the table.

Next week sees a potential cracker as Kilby head to Ainslie Park to face high-flying Spartans in what will be one of the most anticipated matches of a highly competitive season.

comments powered by Disqus